Thursday, September 24, 2009

Today as I was traveling back from running some errands in Fort Worth, I saw a guy like this one in a lane across from me. He was holding a sign that said "Hungry! Please Help." As I was sitting a lane across from him, I noticed cars wouldn't even get close to him; they stayed as far away as possible. Seriously there was an opening two car lengths long beside me.

As I was sitting thinking about this "homeless man", I begin to question what would Jesus do in situations like this one. I mean, really what would he do today if he was living out HIS Journey in the 21st Century.

First off, I believe he would have a car. Why? Because he would be a good steward of his time, and walking would take a long time, at least around this area. But, what would he do when he drove by the homeless?

Please respond and make comments to this blog...




3 comments:

  1. Jesus would not even hesitate. No matter what the homeless person had gone through, Jesus would have been there to help him through his tough time. Jesus sees this kind of thing as a ministry opportunity. I know personally that I see a homeless person and think, "Does he really need food, or is he just a junkie looking for a quick way to get some cash for his next bottle of beer." But it really doesn't matter, because we are called to be the slat and light of the world. We should not judge, but just do such things with an open and caring heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sean. I think the same thing, but Jesus would pull over and pick the guy up. He might even make him a disciple. You never know. Jesus chose people based on them, not where they lived. He Himself was homeless. I think it's shameful how we act around the homeless. We turn the other way, think they aren't worth it, that it's their fault they ended up like that so they should get themselves out of it. But we are called to help, to minister and to be a light. Being a light isn't turning the other way. It's pulling the car over and picking that person up. They stand there defeated, hoping against hope for some help. The least we can do is provide that hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with both Grace and Sean but being a girl, that choice of letting them in our car can be risky. Are we just supposed to be expected to fully trust them enough to the point of letting them hop in? I mean, then should we have no fear of letting them in knowing that God will protect you? I mean, that's what stops me. I may go buy them some food or something of that sort but I can't get myself to invite them in the car. Lets say Jesus was a teenage girl in this instance, (still being Jesus but in a different form) what would he/she do?

    ReplyDelete