I do not know if you are familiar with this song, but as a child I remember singing it at least once a month.
"To Canaan's land I'm on my way,
Where the soul of man never dies;
My darkest night will turn to day,
Where the soul of man never dies;"
While singing this song, it brought the picture of this land of Canaan that we were going to someday enjoy. The song goes onto to say;
Dear Friends, there'll be no sad farewells,
There'll be no tear-dimmed eyes,
Where all is peace and joy and love,
And the soul of man never dies.
But I want to challenge us all to think outside of the box for a second. What if God has a Canaan for each one of us? That place that he is calling us to, to carry out His perfect will for our lives.
In Genesis 11: 31-32 we read that Terah, the father of Abram, was called to this Canaan land...
31 Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Haran, they settled there. 32 Terah lived 205 years, and he died in Haran.
Does Terah make it to Canaan? No! What happens? The passage says that when he arrived in Haran, he settled there. The next verse says he "died in Haran."
Back to the song...
The song makes a statement that "I'm on my way to Canaan...where the soul of man never dies. My darkest night will turn to day....where the soul of man never dies."
In the past few weeks, God has been hitting me hard in meditating on the modern day Christ-follower. It seems that "WE" at times get in a rut where we go through the motions of "doing" the "rituals" we have always done. Why is this? I would love some response.
Is it because that too many of US have been called to a "Canaan" by our CREATOR, but settled in Haran? If so, has our SOUL began to slowly die, as the song states?
Maybe the trip to canaan is a little different than we imagined it, and so we deceive ourselves into believing that Haran will be fine.
ReplyDelete