Dear Papaw,
As you lay in the hospital bed in Stephenville, my heart is overflowing with so much emotion. One moment, I am laughing and the very next moment I am crying! I do not know how much longer you have, but I wanted to share my heart.
Papaw, do you remember the things we shared?
The time when when I was a little boy and I had eaten too much dinner and you caught my throw up in your huge hands.
The nights I would lay in the bed with you and Nanaw as a little boy and rub your fingernail until I went to sleep.
The letters you would write to me when you were in Del City working for the Soil Conversation Service.
The time I help you lead "I'll Fly Away" at Highland Baptist Church.
The giant candy canes I would buy for yo at Christmas.
The recordings of all the grandkids having radio time with you.
The Christmas of my 5th grade year when you were really sick because of the Colon Cancer.
The laughter we shared picking on Nanaw.
The breakfasts we would all eat together in the morning.
The many rides on the tractor with you as you would plow the field.
THe Gandy's big red tub of ice cream we would always eat at night together.
Papaw, as I write this on Tuesday night, on the last day of November in 2010 you are still alive. You are still laying there anticipating the greatest moment of your existence. Paul tells us that when we are absent of the body we are then present with the Lord. Papaw, just imagine, very shortly you are going to see Him. You are going to see the one in which you sang so much about. You will be able to touch him and look into his eyes. Papaw, I have to be honest! I want to go with you, not that I am ready to die, but just to make sure you are going to be okay! I never have been without you and the comfort you have given me my entire existence I want to give a little back. It is crazy to think those very big blue eyes that I stared into yesterday evening will soon look into the eyes of Jesus. Papaw, could you please tell him something for me. Please tell Him, "Thank you!" Thank him for giving me a Papaw like you.
Pawpaw, I give praise to my Jesus for the time we shared together!
I love you more than words could ever express!
Your grandson, John!
No comments:
Post a Comment