Have you ever read Matthew 5: 3, the preamble of the Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, and left feeling totally disconnected from what Jesus was saying.
Here are the words from the Message Translation for those that have not read Matthew 5: 3:
3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
.
Each time I have read all these they just always have seem backwards...backwards until I met "Sam" for the first time today.
These peculiar words of Christ in Matthew 5 became something I owned when I left Center of Hope today.
Today the staff of Trinity Bible Church, decided to go as an entire team and serve at the Center of Hope in Weatherford. The Center of Hope is an amazing ministry that reaches many people in Parker County. Check out their site, its an great "hands on" ministry to get involved in.
As I was waiting on tables, I met Sam. At first, he is just like everyone else. He was very appreciative and thankful in what the Center of Hope does. Because it was unusually slow, I was able to sit down and begin to chat with Sam. After a few minutes, I learned that "Sam" lives in his car and has several health problems. But the more and more he talked, the more and more God was writing upon my heart that "Sam" knows what it is to depend upon Jesus for every need. I mean, he has no house, poor health, no job, etc. etc. etc. But Sam knows, Jesus much more intimate than I do! Why?
You see, I really do not have to worry about a place to live, my health, my next meal, etc. But at having all, comes at a cost. That cost is learning to be dependent upon myself and not on my Jesus.
Which brings us back to words of Jesus in Matthew 5. Below is my commentary of the Matthew 5:3 after meeting Sam today at Center of Hope.
"So, you say you want to follow me. Well if you do, this is what people look like that have an intimate relationship with me;
'They are poor in the deepest parts of their soul, realizing they have no hope without me. Because of this dependence, they will get to see, truly what is important. Not so much all the stuff that some people hold to, but the closeness of walking with me as they journey through their life. Actually it is a piece of the Kingdom that they will some day live in.'"
After meeting Sam, I now have a greater understand of the words that Jesus spoke in Matthew 5.
Although I have a greater meaning of the words, am I truly ready to live as Sam lives???
No comments:
Post a Comment